Math Accommodations, Assistive Tech, and Apps
- A specific learning disability that affects a person’s ability to understand numbers and learn math facts. Individuals with this type of LD may also have poor comprehension of math symbols, may struggle with memorizing and organizing numbers, have difficulty telling time, or have trouble with counting.
Signs and Symptoms
- Shows difficulty understanding concepts of place value, and quantity, number lines, positive and negative value, carrying and borrowing
- Has difficulty understanding and doing word problems
- Has difficulty sequencing information or events
- Exhibits difficulty using steps involved in math operations
- Shows difficulty understanding fractions
- Has difficulty making change and handling money
- Displays difficulty recognizing patterns when adding, subtracting, multiplying, or dividing
- Has difficulty putting language to math processes
- Has difficulty understanding concepts related to time such as days, weeks, months, seasons, quarters, etc.
- Exhibits difficulty organizing problems on the page, keeping numbers lined up, following through on long division problems
5 Common Myths About Dyscalculia: https://www.understood.org/en/learning-attention-issues/child-learning-disabilities/dyscalculia/5-common-myths-about-dyscalculia?view=slideview
All children with dyscalculia have the same difficulties with math.
Dyscalculia is another name for math anxiety.
Dyscalculia is basically dyslexia for math.
Dyscalculia isn’t very common
Kids with dyscalculia can’t learn math.
Truths: Kids with dyscalculia may have a harder time learning math than other kids, but that doesn’t mean they can’t learn it—and even excel at it. There are classroom accommodations your child’s teacher can use, as well as strategies and apps you can try at home to make learning math easier...and even fun! Certain types of assistive technology can make learning math a more positive and successful experience for your child.
Allow use of fingers and scratch paper
- Touching/Counting Patterns Lite - https://appsto.re/us/BFLNP.i
- Math Vocabulary Cards https://appsto.re/us/3y3yX.
- MyScript MathPad - https://appsto.re/us/Vh6oO.i
- Panther Math Paper Lite https://appsto.re/us/BqfX1.i
- My blackboard https://appsto.re/us/26MxE.i
- Virtual Manipulatives! https://appsto.re/us/xGbgC.i
- Pad Math https://appsto.re/us/ZkBnv.i
- Photomath - https://appsto.re/us/UPcY2.i
- Khan Academy https://appsto.re/us/z0yaC.i
- Whiteboard Lite: Collaborative Drawing https://appsto.re/us/cr5_r.
- Number Line https://appsto.re/us/0c9ZS.i
- Calculator Pro for iPad Free - Standard and Scientific calculator https://appsto.re/us/KwQPS.i